The multi-phase Kowalsky project includes the now completed 2017 addition to the 1896 house, relocation and preservation of the 1834 annex, in addition to plans for future preservation work on the 1896 house. Situated in Johnson, Vermont's historic village, the Kowalsky building presented us with the opportunity to assist VSC in meeting current and future programmatic needs, while respecting the village's architectural identity. This first phase of work on the Kowalsky building is a component of VSC's campus masterplan, which over the course of its approximately 15 year implementation, will endeavor to increase accessibility, sustainability, energy efficiency, and resident artists' and VSC staff comfort.
The 1834 annex was first stripped of interior finishes, then relocated to a new foundation. The annex was originally built as a duplex for lumber mill foremen, and having undergone preservation will now be used for artist and staff housing. The relocated annex creates space to establish walking connectivity between the Kowalsky building's driveway and the Mason building to its north, in addition to the Kahn gym studio building to its south.
Learn more about the: Vermont Studio Center
Master Planning and Schematic Design:
Cushman Design Group
Milford Cushman, President
Tom Karlhuber, Architect
Michael Perpall, Architect
VSC Campus Master Planning Committee
Milford Cushman, Jim MacDowell, Gary Clark, Kathy Black, Tara Thacker, G. Todd Haun, Louise von Weise
Architect of Record:
The Design Group
Jeff Schoelkopf, Architect
Jim Edgcomb, Architect
Donald P. Blake, Jr. Inc.
Travis Cutler, Vice-President
Tom Bjerke, Project Manager
Roxanne Johnson, Assistant to the Project Manager